The TDI Intro to Tech is the gateway to technical diving. You will learn dive planning and advanced skills. This course, or equivalent is required prior to taking Advanced Nitrox and Deocompression Procedures.
Please note: We do not teach this course in single tank back mount.
Students wishing to complete the course in back-mounted doubles must meet specific requirements and require prior approval.
Intro to Tech Course Duration
4 Days Minimum – two classroom and pool sessions in Albuquerque. A minimum of 4 Dives in open water.
Who this course is for:
- Divers looking to expand their in-water skills and techniques
- The certified diver who has an interest in moving forward with technical diving education and expanding their equipment configuration options
- Certified divers who are considering further tech training
Intro to Tech Course prerequisites
- Minimum age 15
- Open Water Scuba Diver, or equivalent
- 25 dives
What you can expect to learn:
- In-depth dive planning, advanced buoyancy control, gas management, situational awareness, proper trim, gear configuration and selection
- Gas matching procedures
- Gas management
- Psychological considerations of technical diving
- Cylinder options
- Regulator options
- Buoyancy compensator/harness options
- Proper weighting
- Equipment configuration
- Communication (light and hand signals)
- Diving in tight or confined spaces
- Water entries and exits
Some of the required skills you will have to demonstrate include:
- Propulsion techniques (frog kick, modified frog kick, modified flutter kick, back kick, and the helicopter turn)
- Hover in trim, at a fixed position in the water column without sculling
- Maintain trim and proper positioning during the dive
- Unclipping and attaching cylinders
- Gas switches with and without a mask
- Independent cylinder gas management
- Demonstrate conservation, awareness, and back-referencing techniques
- Deploy a lift bag
What’s in it for you?
- Exposure to in-depth dive planning
- An introduction to advanced technical diving and equipment
- Become a more proficient diver and expand your skills and knowledge
minimum certification requirements:
- Perform all land drills and dive requirements safely and efficiently
- Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution
- Maintain an appropriate level of awareness and respect for the environment
- Execute proper gear selection and preparation as well as buddy gas matching
- Mastery of predive checks, trim, finning techniques, body positioning, and diver skills
- Demonstrate mature, sound judgment during dive planning and execution
$300 per day for a single student, $260 for two and $250 for 3.
Start your eLearning now!